If you are moving to a new area, or moving on from your previous dentist, there are some things you should consider before picking a new dentist. It is important to pick a dentist before you have a dental emergency. It takes time and research to find the best fit for you and your teeth!
Consider the following when you need to find a dentist:
- Ask For Recommendations – When you are in the search process, asking from friends, family, and neighbors is an important step that should not be overlooked. The internet can tell you only so much, and having that recommendation from someone you can trust can be much more significant than an anonymous review online.
- Location / Availability – When you are in the process of finding a dentist, start your search with the places closest to your home or work. You’re more likely to cancel or simply not go if your dentist is far away. Life sometimes gets in the way, which is why you need to make sure your dentist is close by. Now, if your new dentist is never available, and it’s challenging to make an appointment, that might be a turnoff in the search process.
- Cost – Many dental insurance plans have lower co-pays for dentists who are preferred providers. Check to see whether the dentist is a preferred provider or accepts your insurance plan at all. If you do not have dental insurance, check the rates for common procedures such as cleanings or fillings.
- Meet for a Consultation – Let’s say you have a list of possible candidates; our suggestion is to set up meetings with all of them to see if you are a good fit for their offices. You can pick up on a lot of details by visiting the office, and can ask the dentist questions you may have.
- Comfort – Maybe you like a particular dentist on your list and make your first appointment. You can start with a cleaning, and then see what you think of your new dentist. Use that first visit to gauge how you feel at the office, are you comfortable? Is everyone friendly? Once you do this, you can make your decision about future cleanings or procedures.
After your search process, we hope you will consider (and eventually choose) Pine Tree Dental Care. We would love to set up a consultation appointment and answer any questions you have to ensure we are the right fit for you. You can call us at 207-781-4216 to set up an appointment today!